Sat 06 21
Top 10 Tips for Caring For and Protecting your Hands
2 min read
Hands play an important role in our lives. We use our hands to express ourselves; we use them to show our affection for the ones we love; we use them to cuddle our children and we even put them through the stress of daily chores and other complex activities. Our hands are a vital tool that we should definitely care for.
Here are 10 easy ways to give your hands a helping hand!
1. Whenever you are working in the home or in the garden and know your hands will be close to water or chemicals (such as cleaning products) wear rubber gloves to protect your hands.
2. Use mild/gentle soap when washing your hands.
3. Exfoliate your hands at least once a week. The skin on the back of your hands is particularly thin and doesn’t contain much fat. As you age this fat then decreases and so veins and bones become more prominent. Exfoliating will not bring the fat back but it will help to keep your skin looking revitalised and glowing.
4. Wear sunscreen. Your hands are often overlooked when it comes to sunscreen and even in the coldest of weather your hands are still exposed to the sun’s rays.
5. Moisturising is crucial for hand care. Daily activities and washing your hands regularly to prevent germs dries out the skin on your hands and so moisturising will give back some much needed hydration.
6. Massage your hands. Using cream or oil, massage up and down your fingers and the rest of your hand in a circular motion as this will help to relax and release any stress or pain in your hands.
7. Avoid exposure to extremely hot water. Instead of hot water use warm water to wash your hands or shower/bathe.
8. Pat your hands dry after washing. By gently patting your hands rather than rubbing with a towel you are less likely to irritate and dry out the skin on your hands.
9. Increase the humidity in your house. If you suffer from really dry skin it might be beneficial for you to invest in a humidifier to increase the moisture in the air of your home, which will ultimately help to hydrate your skin.
10. Apply body lotions and creams soon after bathing. By applying a lotion or cream whilst the skin is still damp you help to seal in moisture